April 11, 2018
On March 18, Fitch Even attorney Andrew C. Wood served as a special judge for the Chicago Intellectual Property Alliance (CIPA) at the 68th Annual Chicago Public Schools Student Science Fair at the Museum of Science and Industry. Now designated as the 2018 Exhibition of Student Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Research, the event's theme was “STEM: Infinite Possibilities for the Future.”
Andrew joined other patent practitioners and local law school students to review the exhibits and select the recipients of special awards sponsored by CIPA for the fifteenth consecutive year. The middle-school and high-school contestants had been selected from a field of thousands of local participants in nine regional science fairs to present their projects and accompanying papers at the citywide science fair. The CIPA judges sought out the most innovative projects among these, interviewing many of the student exhibitors as part of the judging process.
After evaluating many noteworthy contenders, the CIPA judges awarded cash prizes for the three “Most Inventive” entries, and offered assistance with the preparation and filing of a patent application to the first-place winner.
- First place went to Nikolaos Koris from Mather High School for his “Machina Walk” project involving a mechanical apparatus to assist people who have the medical condition foot drop.
- Second place was awarded to Sofia Rogel from Von Steuben High School for her “The Big Sick” project related to specialized heating pads for individuals with arthritis.
- Third place went to Charlotte Ericson and Caroline Rosen from Audubon Middle School for their “Helping Hands” project involving specialized gloves for people who have difficulty gripping objects.
For more information on this event, please visit the Chicago Public Schools Student Science Fair website.
Fitch, Even, Tabin & Flannery LLP is a cofounder of CIPA. Fitch Even partner Joseph T. Nabor is a current CIPA board member and partner Steven G. Parmelee served as co-chair of the Science Fair Committee from 2006 to 2017.
- IP Alert | PTAB Cautioned Not to Deviate from Grounds Raised in PetitionJuly 19, 2018 Read more
- Design Patent Enforcement: Recent U.S. Court and PTAB DecisionsFitch Even Webinar: August 2, 2018 Read more